2023 Freeski World Ski Championships Team Announced
U.S. Ski & Snowboard announced the 14 athletes that will represent the U.S. Freeski Team at the 2023 FIS Snowboard, Freestyle and Freeski World Championships in Bakuriani, Georgia, Feb. 19th - March 5th, 2023.
The 2023 World Championship nominations include eight pro team and five rookie team freeskiers from across the U.S. With a total of five Winter Olympians and several athletes landing on the podium this season, the U.S. is headed into Georgia with strong talent and depth.
The World Championship team is highlighted by three-time Olympic medalist and two-time Olympic champion David Wise. Wise has had six World Championship starts, with one victory in Tryvann, Oslo, in 2013. Throughout Wise’s career, he has had 39 World Cup starts, with 18 podiums and 7 wins—every time Wise drops into the pipe he has a 46% chance of podiuming in the contest. As a veteran of the sport, the 32 year old is still giving his competitors a run for their money, with a World Cup podium and an X Games gold in this season alone.
This year’s World Championships team also features Olympians Alex Ferreira, who was atop the podium in first place at the Snow Rodeo World Cup in Calgary, Canada, along with teammate Hanna Faulhaber, who earned third place for the women at the same event. Rookie team member Troy Podmilsak took home the third-place trophy at the first big air event of the season in Chur, Switzerland, as well as another rookie, Tristan Feinberg, who placed in the top five at the most recent Toyota U.S. Grand Prix at Mammoth Mountain, CA.
2023 X Games big air gold medalist and X Games slopestyle silver medalist Mac Forehand is also on the 2023 World Champions roster and is looking to add more to his already successful season. Plus, slopestyle skier Rell Harwood has proven her comeback from an ACL injury by placing 9th in Mammoth. Both Forehand and Harwood will be joined by teammates, Cody Laplante, Hunter Henderson and Grace Henderson. Rookie member and X Games bronze medalist Svea Irving, the 2023 U.S. national champion, will be competing alongside three-time Olympian and World Champion Brita Sigourney, as well as rookie team member Riley Jacobs. Dylan Ladd of the professional halfpipe team will round out the men’s World Championships team.
“The U.S. Freeski Team is looking forward to bringing a great mix of veteran and up-and-coming athletes to compete at the highest level in a new location that has invested in these sports and the skiing community as a whole,” said Freeski Director Skogen Sprang. “We look forward to showcasing our sports on the global stage and bringing creativity to the table.”
This year’s Freeski World Championships will begin with men’s and women’s slopestyle, with finals going down on Feb. 28. Next, halfpipe finals will be on March 4, and big air finals will close out World Champs on March 5. Fans can follow all of the action in Georgia live on Peacock and skiandsnowboard.live with tape-delayed action on NBC and CNBC.
2023 FIS FREESTYLE SKI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS TEAM
(hometown; club; USASA series; birthdate; previous World Championship teams)
*Denotes first World Championships team
Women’s Halfpipe Ski Team:
- Hanna Faulhaber (Carbondale, Colo.; Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboard Club; Rocky Mountain Series; 9/04/04; 2021)
- Svea Irving (Winter Park, Colo.; Winter Park Freeride Team; Rocky Mountain Series; 2/27/02; 2021)
- Brita Sigourney (Carmel, Calif.; Intermountain Series; 1/17/90; 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021)
- Riley Jacobs (Oak Creek, Colo.; Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club; Rocky Mountain Series; 8/14/2003)*
Men’s Halfpipe Ski Team:
- David Wise (Reno, Nev.; 6/30/90; 2009, 2011, 2013, 2017, 2019, 2021)
- Alex Ferreira (Aspen, Colo.; Aspen Valley Ski & Snowboard Club; Aspen/Snowmass Series; 8/14/94; 2019, 2021)
- Tristan Feinberg (Aspen, Colo.; Rocky Mountain Series; 4/23/2003)*
- Dylan Ladd (Lakewood, Colo.; Winter Park Competition Center; Rocky Mountain Series; 8/29/01)*
Women’s Slopestyle Ski Team:
- Grace Henderson (Madbury, N.H.; Waterville Valley BBTS; New Hampshire Series; 4/28/01)*
- Rell Harwood (Park City, Utah; Park City Ski & Snowboard; Big Mountain West Series; 6/1/01; 2021)
Men’s Slopestyle Ski Team:
- Mac Forehand (Winhall, Vt.; Stratton Mountain School; Southern Vermont Series; 8/4/01; 2019, 2021)
- Troy Podmilsak (Park City, Utah; Park City Ski & Snowboard; Big Mountain West Series; 8/23/2004)*
- Hunter Henderson (Madbury, N.H.; Waterville Valley BBTS; New Hampshire Series; 12/28/2002)*
- Cody LaPlante (Truckee, Calif.; Squaw Valley Freestyle and Freeride Team; North Tahoe Series; 2/15/02; 2021)
2023 FIS Freeski World Championships Live Coverage Schedule
All times EST
Check local listings, subject to change
Feb. 28, 2023
4:00 a.m. – men’s and women’s freeski slopestyle – Peacock, skiandsnowboard.live
March 4, 2023
1:00 a.m. – men’s and women’s freeski halfpipe – Peacock, skiandsnowboard.live
March 5, 2023
1:00 a.m. – men’s and women’s freeski big air – Peacock, skiandsnowboard.live
Follow The U.S. Freeski Team