Ava Sunshine is a rising alpine force hailing from Edwards, Colo., but she calls Los Angeles, Calif. home. She attended Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy before heading to Burke Mountain Academy (BMA). Sunshine had an impressive World Cup debut in the 2022-23 season when she scored her first World Cup points in her first ever World Cup start in Levi. Sunshine scored back-to-back in the slalom races with a 21st place and a 27th place.
When she's not skiing she loves going to the beach, playing spike ball and beach volleyball, painting ceramics, skating, surfing (competed in NSSA—National Scholastic Surfing Association—Southwest explorer conference when she was 14), and hanging out with friends and family. She also loves to surf (Manhattan is her home break), and enjoys mountain biking when in Utah.
"Finding out I made U16 nationals for the first time is my favorite career memory so far! Maybe it wasn't the biggest accomplishment ever, but it was my favorite memory because it was a big goal for me that year and I was right on the cusp."
6 Things You Didn't Know About Ava Sunshine
- 1. Three things she wants the world to know: 1) she competed in the NSSA (National Scholastic Surfing Association) Southwest explorer conference when she was 14, which was basically a series of surfing competitions in Southern California over multiple weekends, 2) she taught skateboarding and surfing over the past few summers as a job, and 3) she hates the cold and being cold under any/all circumstances.
- 2. Top 10 songs on her playlist right now: Diamonds From Sierra Leone, Like A G6, I've Seen Footage, No Tears Left To Cry, California Love, Pick Up The Phone, Far Too Young To Die, Rose Golden, and Poison Lips
- 3. Ava's favorite athlete is Ester Ledecka because she's an underdog.
- 4. When she's not skiing she loves going to the beach, playing spike ball and beach volleyball, painting ceramics, skating, and hanging out with friends and family. Plus! Surfing for sure! Manhattan beach is the home break. She also enjoys mountain biking when in Utah. And suntanning.
- 5. She's involved with the Ski Fast Foundation. It was created by one of her good friends Campbell Sullivan, who was very passionate about ski racing even with Ewings Sarcoma. They give out scholarships to support other kids with sarcoma cancers, who have a passion. Learn more: https://skifastfoundation.com
- 6. In the future, Ava would "definitely want to win a World Cup globe and attend an Olympics. I'd also like to make women's league for the World Pro Ski Tour if there isn't already one by that time."