World Championship medalist and 2022 Olympian Julia Kern is making a name for herself as one of the fastest sprinters in cross country.
Julia is a 2022 Olympian, and World Championship bronze medalist. She has secured two podiums in the ultra-competitive World Cup field, becoming the youngest American to podium on the World Cup, is a four-time National Champion, was the u23 World Champs bronze medalist, and was a key part in the World Junior Championships Relay (first ever USA relay medal at World Juniors).
She was named to the U.S. team at only 17, now she is entering her ninth year on the team, her goals remain - winning Olympic medals, adding more World Cup podiums to her resume and positively impacting her community and the sport of cross country skiing.
Outside of skiing, Julia is still on the move. She enjoys anything outdoors, from climbing, hiking, surfing, mountain biking, swimming, beach volleyball or shooting hoops! She is also involved with the Share Winter Foundation, Little Bellas and Fast and Female.
"My favorite memory is huddling in a circle with Katharine, Hannah, and Hailey at the finish line of the Junior World Championships relay in Utah, where we realized that our dream of winning a medal we had made two years ago at training camp just came true"
6 Things You Didn't Know About Julia Kern
- 1. Julia won her first-ever World Championships bronze medal in the team sprint with teammate Jessie Diggins in Planica, SLO at the 2023 Cross Country World Championships.
- 2. Julia enjoys anything outdoors, from climbing, hiking, surfing, mountain biking, swimming, beach volleyball or shooting hoops!
- 3. She is also involved with the Share Winter Foundation: "I think it is important to get as many kids out on skis to give it a try without the barriers of having to purchase all of the gear. Anything to get kids active outside and having fun is really awesome!"
- 4. Julia scored her first World Cup podium in Planica, Slovenia, on Dec. 12, 2019, outsprinting teammate Sophie Caldwell for third-place in a freestyle sprint.
- 5. Julia is also involved with Little Bellas, and Fast and Female, both of which provide opportunities for girls to be active and healthy, and become empowered through sport.
- 6. Julia has been cross country skiing since she could walk. "My family would all ski in Germany over Christmas and my grandparents would bribe me with gummy bears at every stopping point. "